Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Simple Dimple


Early fall is the time for plum desserts. Our Tuesdays With Dorie selection is Dimply Plum Cake offered by Michelle from Bake-En.


This is the kind of cake to have a girlfriend over for a cup of coffee and catch up on what's what and who's who. It was fairly straightforward and easy to assemble.


To prepare the cake, I paid a visit to the Union Square Farmers' Market to search for plums. I wanted to find local plums.


Dorie (and my mother) suggest Italian plums, so search I did.


I found Italian Plums from New York State's Stone Arch Farms. A friendly farmer, offered a sample.


Plums seem to sweeten once they are picked. Left out in the sun the flavor is concentrated and become prunes.


This cake did not last long. It was so good and vanished in a day.

9 comments:

Jules Someone said...

What a lovely looking cake!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

looks great--that cake wouldn't have lasted long in my house either!

Pamela said...

Nice job! The plums look good, and I don't even like plums! I really enjoyed this one, and I was shocked about that!

Cathy said...

I did not use good plums, and my cake suffered. You used those sweet little beauties, and it looks like it was a big hit! I'm glad you liked this one -- your pictures are beautiful!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Whoah, girl, do I count 20 plum halves on top of your cake? Those little guys are adorable! How cool to find local plums that were perfect for this recipe. The cake disappeared around here also.
Nancy

Engineer Baker said...

Lucky you to get such wonderful fruit! It looks great.

Anonymous said...

This is one of the prettiest cakes I have seen. Great job.

Bungalow Barbara said...

What a beautiful cake!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious Lauren! Do you give cooking lessons? I would love to see you in action! My email is mmenezes912@gmail.com Hope to hear from you -Mike